Sunday, June 29, 2014

On a Dime (pt 2)

Making your money go far....
That is the key... And it is something you have to experience yourself. Preferably in small doses at first! None of it is rocket science. It is more mindset... Not forgetting. You become "always conscious", of the money supply.
Area's that have made my life easier, has been my reliance on garage and estate sales. I have saved a lot of money on much needed items at them over the years, and I have friends that run a summer long sale that I frequent almost weekly. The items I require are fortunately, items that many people buy, but rarely seem to use. In my case it is snowshoes, axes, etc...
These get purchased and after a short period of use, get stored, then sold. Much like the exercise bike and treadmills...
Entertainment, is also an important issue over the course of a long winter, so I look for used DVD's to make the long winter nights, a bit more pleasant. I have even gone so far as to make a list, for my Garage sale friends, of items for them to keep on the lookout for.

My other friend is the pawnshop. Tools especially can be had at a bargain, as well as firearms if you are in the need. The trick to the pawnshop sale is to be sure to ask for their lowest "cash" price.. (then be sure you pay with cash). Don't feel bad.. they are still making good money on the sale. And remember.. the more you frequent the shop, the better deals you will get.

I mentioned bulk, in the previous post, but it bears mentioning again. Most big chain grocery stores are offering bulk foods these day's. So hunting down the bulk stores is a lot easier. Also, some of the bigger chains will reduce their main isle items if you buy in quantity. For example you buy 2 cases of canned pea's. Flag a store attendant over and ask if a bulk discount is given. You might be suprised.  But don't try this at the "bulk only" stores... they are already discounted...

Thrift stores.. These are the "I'm to lazy to have a garage sale", stores. There is no telling what you will find there for a bargain. I've personally bought everything from jeans, to parka's... backpacks to soft sided suitcases (which I have a liking for in transporting freight.. which I will post about later).

Barter.... Live in a small town? Have something you don't need? Post it online or on the local bulletin board. WTF (will trade for) or WTT (willing to trade)...
I know people who have turned barter into a fine art.

So you see there are many way's of getting by on less.
But don't kid yourself that it is glamorous! Getting by on less is great. But it's not easy or fun at times. It's just something you do in the long list of sacrifices you make to live a rural lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment